Ultra-thick bakery-style Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies are loaded with sweet and salty flavors everyone craves! The combination of melty chocolate and crunchy pretzels makes this one of the best and easiest cookies you will ever make! This is also a small-batch chocolate chip cookie recipe, making about 12 big, thick, and chewy cookies.
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
Believe it or not, these homemade cookies bake to perfection in about 6-7 minutes! I’m not joking! In fact, this unique recipe is taken from tried and true viral chocolate chip cookies that continuously get rave reviews year after year. The cookie dough is made with cold butter and baked at high heat for a very short amount of time. Quick and easy, perfect for an after-school or after-dinner treat.
Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
Sugar – We use brown sugar and white granulated sugar
Butter – 1 stick of cold butter (no need to let the butter come to room temp!)
Egg – Just one large egg (can substitute this for 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce)
Vanilla Extract – Vanilla is the flavor booster in cookies. Double the vanilla (one teaspoon) if you love vanilla!
All Purpose Flour – I used all-purpose for this recipe.
Baking Soda – Helps keep homemade cookies soft and tender
Corn Starch – Makes the cookies full and thick
Salt – All baked goods need salt, it helps balance the sweetness
Walnuts – optional, but incredibly tasty in the mixture of sweet and salty
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – 1 FULL bag of chocolate chips. Yes, you could use less… but why? Ha! Chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate works too.
Pretzels – small pretzel sticks or mini pretzel twists broken into bite-size pretzel pieces for crunch
It’s a foolproof recipe, that results in the best cookies over and over and over again. My kids LOVE when I make these and gobble them up just moments after I take them out of the oven. Chocolate Chip Cookies feature golden brown edges with warm chocolate-filled centers.
First, combine the cold butter, cut into pieces, with sugars, vanilla, and egg in a mixing bowl.
Then, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl with the butter-sugar mixture. Once the cookie dough is fully mixed, you’ll notice that the cold butter is fully combined and creamy. A handheld electric mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment works best. After that, stir in the chocolate chips, walnuts, and pretzels. Finally, prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper and place 6 large cookie dough balls on each baking sheet.
Additionally, the full step-by-step instructions can be saved or printed within the recipe card at the very bottom of this post.
How to Make Chip Cookies – Important Things to Know:
Do Not Over Mix the Dough – Over mixing will result in dry, crumbly, and hard cookies. Just make sure the butter is blended. There is no need to chill the dough. Room temperature cookie dough is perfect.
Do Not Over Bake Them – I bake mine at a high temp and for only 6 or 7 minutes. However, they continue to cook while they cool on a wire rack. You can still eat them before they’re fully cooled for the most indulgent textures ever!
Chocolate Chip Cookies Reader Reviews:
“OMG!! The best cookies ever!! I followed directions to the ‘T’ even adding the walnuts and I will forever make these cookies they were absolutely delicious. I HIGHLY recommend trying this recipe you won’t regret it.” Kimberly
“I will never use a different recipe again. These cookies are DELICIOUS!!!! I have made them several times and they are loved by everyone! I have shared the recipe as well to those that have been lucky enough to taste them.” Mary
“I used a cookie scoop and got 2 dozen of the absolutely amazing cookies. My family loved them. They are not gonna last till the end of the day!!!” Celeste
“These are the best cookies I’ve ever made. A family favorite and will be making them often! Santa requested them too 🙂 “ Jess
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Two mixing bowls (one for dry ingredients and a larger one for wet ingredients)
- Electric handheld mixer
- 1¼ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cold butter (1 stick of butter is usually 1/2 cup)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips. About 10-11 oz (or 1/2 a bag if you want less chocolate)
- ¼ cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup pretzels, broken in to bite size pieces
- Preheat oven to 475°
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper to prevent sticking
- In the smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, salt, and baking soda
- Cut the stick of butter into smaller pieces
- In the larger mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract
- Gently stir the dry ingredients (flour, corn starch, salt, etc.) into the larger bowl with the butter/egg/sugar mixture
- Add in chocolate chips, pretzel pieces, and optional walnuts. Mix gently until fully combined
- Using a full size spoon (tablespoon), make cookie dough balls and place them on the baking sheet
- Bake for 6-7 minutes or until the tops of the cookies get golden/brown (keep you eye on them:)
- Remove from the oven and let them cool. They’ll continue to cook on the inside while they cool