Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole couldn’t be easier to make! Do yourself a favor and save this hearty dinner for the next time you have a busy day. The special cheese sauce makes it over the top! This budget-friendly comfort food meal will become a staple in your home, just like it is in ours. Versatile and easy casserole recipes are our favorite!
Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
Your family will LOVE this quick dinner recipe! Top it all with cheese and bake until bubbly! It is approved by picky eaters and is also known as a busy day casserole because it’s a quick and easy dinner. If you’re in the mood for comfort food, this ground beef and rice casserole recipe is for YOU!
Beef and Rice Casserole Ingredients
Ground Beef – I prefer more lean ground beef, but the extra grease of 80/20 can be drained. Optional protein choices are: ground turkey or ground chicken
Rice – Cooked. White, brown, or whatever kind of rice you prefer. Minute rice is great!
Onion – Diced. Fresh or frozen!
Tomato Sauce – one small can
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and begin to sautee the white diced onion in a large skillet for a few minutes until they are translucent or close. If needed, prepare your skillet with non-stick spray beforehand.
Next, it’s time to brown the meat and add the additional ingredients for flavor! I prefer lean ground beef, but ground turkey or ground chicken works too. Add in the garlic powder, cooked rice, tomato sauce, some cheese, and chicken broth. Over medium-high heat, simmer until bubbling. Optional: add a teaspoon of salt and/or pepper.
After the beef mixture is complete, pour it into a prepared baking dish. If you want to store this casserole in the freezer for later, now is a great time to do that! Otherwise, it’s time to get started on the special creamy cheese sauce!
Bake the meat mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes. While it is baking, stir together the sour cream and remaining cheddar cheese, in a small mixing bowl until fully combined. Remove the casserole from the oven and spread the creamy cheese sauce on top.
Because the meat and rice mixture is already warm, the sour cream sauce spreads on top very easily! Finally, return the casserole to the oven and continue to bake it for another 25-30 minutes or until it starts to bubble along the sides. Serve warm and enjoy! This pairs wonderfully with bell peppers, a side salad, warm bread, and so much more! Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
What Else Can I Add to Beef and Rice Casserole?
More Casserole Recipes by Smart School House to Try Next:
Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- Square baking dish (8"x8" or 9"x9")
- Non-stick spray
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- Sautee onions in a skillet for 3-4 mins
- Add ground beef and garlic powder
- Cook until meat is brown (drain if desired)
- Add cooked rice, tomato sauce, 1 cup of cheese, and chicken broth
- Cook in the skillet on medium heat until bubbling
- Prepare casserole dish with non-stick spray
- Add the meat mixture to the square casserole dish
- Bake for 15 minutes
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese with sour cream
- Remove the dish from the oven and spread the special sour cream cheese sauce on top
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!