Starburst Sugar Cookies
Like some of the most popular things we’ve made here at Smart School House, these Starburst Sugar Cookies were created out of free time and ingredients on hand (that’s how these Kool Aid Candy Dots, Dish Soap Silly Putty, and Ice Cream Play Dough were created). As you might have seen me share here on Instagram, my kids and I had a brilliant idea when we spotted an extra package of Starbursts in the pantry…..
Seriously, my mouth waters just thinking about these! The melted Starburst candies are super juicy and the sugar cookies have that irresistible buttery flavor.
For this sugar cookie recipe, you will need
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks of softened butter (real butter)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 12 Starbursts
Pre heat your oven to 375 degrees
In a bowl:
1. Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder
In a mixing bowl:
2. Mix the softened butter together with the confectioner’s sugar for about 30 seconds or until fully combined
3. Add the egg to your butter/sugar mixture
4. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds or until fully combined
5. Little by little, add your “dry ingredients” from step #1 into your mixing bowl. Scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl occasionally to make sure all of the ingredients are mixed well.
6. Sprinkle some flour on wax paper, and roll the dough out until it is the desired thickness (between 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick)
7. Using a cookie cutter or an upside down circular drinking glass, cut out cookies and place them on a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper).
8. Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.
9. Remove them from the oven and place Starbursts on top.
10. Increase the oven temperature to 425 and bake the cookies for 3 more minutes. The increased temperature helps the Starbursts melt quickly without burning the cookies.
I don’t know about you, but the pink and red are my favorite flavors. Who knew Starbursts would pair so well with sugar cookies? My kids and I had so much fun baking these cookies and watching the Starbursts melt on top. They will continue to melt after you take them out of the oven.
Looking for more easy and fun things to do with your kids? Grab a copy of my book HERE and we’ll keep you guys entertained all year:)