Get festive for Halloween with our Paper Towel Roll Witch decoration! This easy craft can be enjoyed by all ages and, best of all, the supplies are reusable! Nothing gets wasted and you can assemble the paper towel roll witch year after year.
Paper Towel Roll Witch
Here at Smart School House, we LOVE Halloween crafts and recipes! Perhaps you’ve seen our Tomato Cage Ghost or Toilet Paper Pumpkins. Everyone loves them! New to Smart School House is my Paper Towel Witch. I love how cute she is!
Roll of Paper Towels
Styrofoam Ball (or any round object that is similar)
2 Rolls of Ribbon: Thick and thin
2 large sheets of black craft foam or black construction paper
Plate/circular object to trace
Be sure to watch my step-by-step video in this post to see how I assembled the witch, particularly, how to make a witch hat (in the easiest way possible!). You can also find the video on my TikTok! Start the hat by tracing a circle on the foam using a round plate. On the second black foam sheet, free-hand a half-circle. This half-circle doesn’t have to be perfect, it just needs to be tall as opposed to short/thin.
In order to make the hat sit on the round styrofoam ball, I cut the bottom of the hat, as seen in the video. Finish the adorable Paper Towel Roll Witch by tying a large bow around her neck! Because the styrofoam ball is hot glued in place, it prevents the ball from rolling off. However, you aren’t wasting many paper towels because you just need a little bit of glue around the cardboard paper towel roll.
You can make several of these witches and place them around your house for the whole month of October. Or, make them part of a Halloween centerpiece! Consider changing up the ribbon colors or hat colors to give each witch her own personality. They are PERFECT for Halloween parties and everyone will be shocked at how you made them. You definitely wouldn’t guess that there’s a roll of paper towels under the cute witch!
More Halloween Crafts by Smart School House to Try Next:
Paper Towel Roll Witch for Halloween
You Will Need
- Roll of Paper Towels
- Styrofoam Ball (or any round object that is similar). I used a 7.8″ ball
- 2 Rolls of Ribbon: Thick and thin
- Black fabric
- 2 large sheets of black craft foam or black construction paper
- Hot glue
- Plate/circular object to trace
Be sure to watch my instructional video in this post to see the step-by-step instructions! You can also find the video on my TikTok!
- Trace a circle on one foam sheet using a plate or round object – cut the circle out
- On the second foam sheet, free-hand draw a large 1/2 circle (it does not need to be drawn perfectly)- cut out the 1/2 circle.
- Roll the half-circle into a cone shape, as seen in the video.
- Secure the cone shape with hot glue.
- Glue the cone to the foam circle to create a witch hat.
- Embellish the small witch hat with ribbon.
- Cut lines underneath the hat to allow it to sit on the styrofoam ball better, as seen in the video.
- Glue the styrofoam ball to the paper towel roll. Place the glue as close as you can to only the cardboard tube so that the paper towels can be used as usual after Halloween.
- Drape with black fabric
- Tie a bow around the neck and place the DIY witch hat on top!