How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
It's cheesy, creamy, and simply the BEST Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe ever!
Large pot or skillet
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick)
- 3 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2½ cups water
- 2½ cups elbow noodles (uncooked)
- 1½ cups cheddar, freshly grated.
- ¾ cup gruyere, freshly grated. This can be substituted with more cheddar or cheese of choice
- Salt and pepper (optional)
In a large pot or large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat
Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the flour. Mix/whisk constantly until fully combined for about 1 minute (make sure it doesn't burn!).
Pour in 1 cup of milk and continue to stir
Once the sauce begins to thicken, pour in the remaining milk, continuing to stir.
Add in the water and macaroni noodles. Over medium heat, let the noodles cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Optional: add in salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle on the grated cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. This happens quickly! Remove from the heat and serve.
Storing Macaroni and Cheese
Any leftovers need to be refrigerated and covered tightly. Mac and cheese can be stored this way for 3-4 days.
To reheat, stir in a little bit of milk or cream and microwave partially covered with plastic wrap. Stir often as it reheats.