Kool Aid Frosting
Kool Aid Frosting is a sweet and creamy rainbow frosting for any cupcake recipe! This is BEST recipe for Kool Aid Frosting. Homemade with a Crisco frosting base. You can add any flavor of Kool Aid!
Powdered Kool Aid has always been one of our favorite fun ingredients. It’s colorful, sweet, and easy to mix with so many desserts! Kool Aid packets can be found in any grocery store. They come in powder form with several different colors and flavors. They make a great juice and a fun ingredient for desserts!
My kids wanted to bake cupcakes the other day and we were low on ingredients. All we had was a box of cupcake mix and some other basic cupcake ingredients. What were we missing? The FROSTING! That’s when we decided to get creative. We opened up the pantry and got to work…
What you will love about Kool Aid Frosting is that it is so simple to make. We didn’t use any fancy tools, frosting pipes, or anything to make these rainbow-y treats. I frosted this one and my kids did the rest. Theirs turned out perfectly too which makes this a cupcake recipe for ANY skill level! Bring on the kids – this one is for them.
Supplies needed to make Kool Aid Frosting
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake tin
- Hand mixer
- Butter knife
- Teaspoon for measuring (or smaller!)
Ingredients for Kool Aid Frosting
- Box of cupcake mix (any flavor). Usually requires water, oil, and eggs
- Packets of powder Kool Aid (any flavor)
- 1/3 Crisco stick (it’s a stick of shortening used for any baking recipe)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
Looking for more Kool Aid recipes?
How to Make Kool Aid Frosting
- Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the box and let them cool completely. Make the Kool Aid Frosting while they bake!
- With an electric mixer, mix the Crisco and milk on medium speed.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar
- Once all of the powdered sugar is added, mix on high for 1-2 minutes.
- ** If needed: add additional milk or powdered sugar to achieve the consistency you’re looking for.
- Divide the frosting into different bowls, depending on how many Kool Aid flavors you are using. We used 4.
- Put 1/2 tea spoon of Kool Aid powder into each bowl.
- Use more or less to achieve the color and flavor intensity you want! You can’t go wrong.
–> Frosts about 8 cupcakes. Make more frosting as needed.
Next, use various spoons of a butter knife to add small amounts of the different colors to the tops of the cupcakes like this:
Gently smooth the frosting out and watch the rainbow appear! Add sprinkles on top for even more fun (my kids couldn’t resist!).
Did you know that the Crisco frosting base can be used with ANY flavoring? You can also add a tablespoon of vanilla to the base recipe if you want to make plain vanilla frosting. It’s delicious and so easy.
You might also like all of our Jello Recipes too
- Jello Ice Cream
- Watermelon filled with Jello
- DIY Jello Snack Cups for Kids
- Jello Cheesecake
- Jello Candy Melts