By far, one of the most requested dinners in my house is this recipe for Dorito Casserole. This Dorito casserole is layers of crushed Dorito chips, ground beef, and an ooey-gooey cheese sauce. You may have seen my viral TikTok video of this recipe! It all gets baked together to melted cheese perfection. Every bite has the perfect amount of chip, cheese, and meat in it!
Dorito Casserole Recipe
This layered Dorito casserole has delicious pieces of beef swimming in a creamy, cheesy sauce, surrounded by chips that EVERYONE loves! Hungry yet? And did I mention you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes? Simple to make and loaded with Mexican flavors, even your picky eaters will love this!
There’s nothing better than a hot, cheesy casserole on a cold day. My kids always get so excited when it’s on the menu. I don’t blame them, Doritos for dinner is always a good thing! If you like a little extra flavor, consider using a powder packet of taco seasoning for the meat. That’s an optional step in case you don’t have picky eaters! Either way, it’s fantastic!
How to Make Dorito Casserole:
Begin by placing 1/2 of a large red “party size” bag of nacho cheese Doritos in the bottom of a big baking dish. A 9″x13″ dish is great! Notice how I crunched the chips a little tiny bit? You want to break some chips a little bit so the whole big casserole will fit in the baking dish. This also prevents the chips from getting soggy! If you haven’t seen my viral TikTok video, here’s how it’s made:
@smartschoolhouseDorito Casserole! Have you had it yet? Go to my blog: SmartSchoolHouse.com for the recipe! ##DoritoCasserole ##Doritos ##Casserole ##Recipe ##Food♬ VICTORY – Steven Cooper
After that, scoop 1/2 of the cheesy meat mixture over the chips. This DELICIOUS meat mixture is already hot because you precooked the ground beef and then combined it with the canned ingredients. I love when cooking is easy and everyone loves what I’m making:)
No casserole is complete without cheese! Over the meat, add a layer of Mexican cheese. Finally, you repeat filling up the baking dish with the remaining chips (slightly crunched), the rest of the meat, and more cheese.
Tips for Making The BEST Dorito Casserole:
Crunch the chips up a little, but not into tiny pieces.
I use 90% lean ground beef – it has plenty of flavor but isn’t overly greasy.
You can use any flavor Doritos you like!
I use Mexican-style cheese for this casserole – other great choices would be a blend of cheddar and jack cheese blend or pepper jack cheese.
You can garnish your casserole with a variety of toppings. I typically serve my Dorito casserole with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and green onions. Other great options are chopped cilantro, olives, avocado.
The cheese melts into the delicious meat sauce for an ooey-gooey bubbling creation! After it bakes in the oven, it is then is finished off with diced tomatoes, green onions, and sour cream. Of course, you can add other toppings or eliminate stuff you know your kids won’t be up for trying.
More Casseroles by Smart School House to Try Next:
Dorito Casserole Recipe
You Will Need
- 1 “party size” bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos – 14 1/2 oz
- 1.5 lbs. – 2 lbs. of ground beef
- 1 can of cheddar cheese soup – 10 3/4 oz.
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup – 10 3/4 oz.
- 1 can of evaporated milk – 12 oz.
- 1 small can of diced green chilies – 4 oz.
- 2-3 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
- Optional: 1 packet of powder taco seasoning
Additional Toppings Options:
- Sour cream
- Diced green onion
- Sliced cherry tomatoes
- Sliced Avocado or guacamole
Additional Supplies Needed:
- Large baking dish (9″x13″ is great)
- Non-stick spray
- Large pan
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In a large pan, brown the ground beef and then drain the fat
- If you plan to season the meat with taco seasoning, now’s the time to do it:)
- Add the 2 soups, evaporated milk, and diced green chilies to the ground beef
- Cook while stirring over medium heat until it is bubbly
- Prepare a baking dish with non-stick spray
- Add 1/2 the bag of chips to the bottom of the baking dish. Crumble them a little bit as pictured (not too much!)
- Scoop 1/2 of the meat mixture over the chips
- Add a layer of 1 cup of shredded cheese on top
- Add additional cheese if needed or desired
- Repeat the layers of chips, meat, and cheese with the remaining ingredients
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through
This quick meal that makes plenty for leftovers the next day. The Doritos do get a little softer, but not to the point where they’re icky.