This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Taco Pie is fluffy dough baked in a pie dish and then loaded with beef, cheese, and more. This taco pie can be on the dinner table in just 30 minutes. The delicious crust is baked in a pie dish and packed with everything you love about tacos: browned ground beef, layered with a cream sauce, shredded lettuce, and more.
The easiest, cheesiest pie you will ever make in a single skillet in just 30 min – perfect for those busy weeknights and picky eaters! Not only is it quick and easy, but it is also a meal that is very filling. It also is great as leftovers for lunches! The irresistible crust is made out of pre-baked crescent rolls. Crescent rolls? How does that work? Let me show you!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Pull apart the crescent rolls and line the inside of a pie dish with them. Then, gently use your hands to press the soft dough together, filling in any spaces, creating a perfect-looking pie crust. Genius, right? It’s so easy, even the kids can do it:)
- Refrigerated crescent rolls – everybody loves crescent rolls! The crescent roll crust is delicious and easy to make.
- Ground beef – can also be substituted with ground turkey or shredded chicken, or protein of choice
- Taco seasoning – taco seasoning is optional. You can also season with chili powder, ground cumin, salsa, bell peppers, garlic powder, salt, etc.
- Shredded cheese – a Mexican blend or sharp cheddar works best
- Sour cream – full fat or light sour cream
- Taco sauce – we prefer a mild red taco sauce. Make it extra spicy with a hot taco sauce!
- Shredded lettuce – prepackaged or freshly shredded
- Tomatoes – cherry tomatoes, diced.
The BEST part about our taco pie recipe is the secret ingredient that we add to the sour cream to kick up the flavor. Have you ever tried sour cream on your tacos before? If so, you know how DELICIOUS it makes tacos. That’s why we couldn’t possibly leave it out of our taco pie. What do we add to the sour cream before spreading it over the taco meat? Red taco sauce! YES! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. It’s the perfect balance of creamy and spicy.
It will take about 30 minutes from start to finish to make this dinner. That includes the prepping of the ingredients AND baking times. The crust bakes to perfection while the ground beef (or ground turkey) cooks in a large skillet. How’s that for quick and easy? Once it is done baking, we cover it with fresh tomatoes and shredded lettuce. You can add as much or as little of this as you want. Personally, I love a lot of lettuce on my taco salad, so I add more to my piece. Extra shredded cheese and olives would be good too! My husband adds fresh onion to his slice.
This dinner is so filling, which makes it a great choice for busy families like ours! Add all of your favorite taco toppings, like black olives, guacamole, salsa, extra cheddar cheese, etc. If you prefer a little more spice, consider seasoning the beef with some chili powder and ground cumin. Sides are totally optional! You can enjoy taco pie all by itself or your favorite taco sides.
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Tortilla chips and salsa
- Pico de gallo
- Mexican rice
- Elote or Mexican street corn salad
“I made this for dinner and everyone loved it! Even picky eaters will love this taco pie!”emily
Taco Pie Recipe
- Non-stick spray
- Round pie dish
- Small mixing bowl
- 1 package of refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup red taco sauce
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- Fresh cut tomatoes (amount based on preference)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare a pie dish with non-stick spray
- Remove crescent rolls from their package and pull apart the triangles
- Put the triangles along the inside of the pie dish (as pictured)
- Using your hands, press and pull the dough so that it is evenly spread along the dish, looking like a real pie crust!
- Bake the dough according to the crescent roll package: at 375 degrees for about 11 minutes, or until the bottom of the pie is golden.
- Remove the crescent pie crust from the oven and set it aside
- Cook the ground beef over medium heat until brown (or cooked through), then drain the excess oil
- Add the ground beef to the pie crust
- Sprinkle the cheese on top
- Return the pie back into the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted
- While the cheese is melting, mix the sour cream and taco sauce in a small bowl
- Cut small slices of fresh tomato
- Remove the taco pie from the oven and spread the sour cream mixture evenly on top
- Sprinkle the shredded lettuce and tomatoes over the sour cream mixture
- Cut with a knife and serve with a spatula!