Looking for a filling and delicious dinner idea? This Taco Pie is the answer! It’s made with a fluffy crust baked in a pie dish and loaded with everything you love about tacos.
It’s a quick, easy meal that is very filling. It also is great as leftovers for lunches! The irresistible crust is made out of pre-baked crescent rolls. Crescent rolls? How does that work? Let me show you!
Pull apart the crescent rolls and line the inside of a pie dish with them. Then, gently use your hands to press the soft dough together, filling in any spaces, creating a perfect looking pie crust. Genius, right? It’s so easy, even the kids can do it:)
The BEST part about our taco pie recipe is our secret ingredient that we add to the sour cream. Have you ever tried sour cream on your tacos before? If so, you know how DELICIOUS it makes tacos. That’s why we couldn’t possibly leave it out of our taco pie. What do we add to the sour cream before spreading it over the taco meat? Red taco sauce! YES! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. It’s the perfect balance of creamy and spicy.
Taco Pie with Sour Cream Sauce
More Easy Dinner Recipes by Smart School House:
What’s for Dessert? Dessert ideas by Smart School House:
- Million Dollar Poke Cake
- Lazy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Ice Cube Tray Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Caramel Chai Tea Ice Cream
It will take about 30 minutes from start to finish when making this dinner. That includes the prep AND baking times. How’s that for quick and easy?
Once it is done baking, we cover it with fresh tomatoes and shredded lettuce. You can add as much or as little of this as you want. Personally, I love a lot of lettuce on my taco salad, so I add more on my piece. Extra shredded cheese and olives would be good too! My husband adds fresh onion to his slice. This dinner is so filling, which makes it a great choice for busy families like ours!
Side suggestions? I think pinto or refried beans and Mexican rice are the perfect side dishes! However, you can eat a taco pie without any sides at all.
Taco Pie Recipe
Taco PiePrint Here
You Will Need
- 1 package of refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 pound of ground beef or turkey
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of red taco sauce
- 1/2 shredded lettuce
- Fresh cut tomatoes (amount based on preference)
- Non-stick spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare a pie dish with non-stick spray
- Remove crescent rolls from their package and pull apart the triangles
- Put the triangles along the inside of the pie dish (as pictured)
- Using your hands, press and pull the dough so that it is evenly spread along the dish, looking like a real pie crust!
- Bake the dough according to the crescent roll package: at 375 degrees for about 11 minutes, or until the bottom of the pie is golden.
- Remove the crescent pie crust from the oven and set it aside
- Cook the ground beef over medium heat until brow (or cooked through), then drain the excess oil
- Add the ground beef to the pie crust
- Sprinkle the cheese on top
- Return the pie back into the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted
- While the cheese is melting, mix the sour cream and taco sauce in a small bowl
- Cut small slices of fresh tomato
- Remove the taco pie from the oven and spread the sour cream mixture evenly on top
- Sprinkle on the shredded lettuce and tomatoes over the sour cream mixture
- Cut with a knife and serve with a spatula!