The ultimate Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe is the best way for adults to celebrate the holiday season! Whether for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or the New Year, this is the PERFECT warm holiday cocktail to enjoy on a cold winter day! Hot cocoa isn’t just for kids!
Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate
You can use our VERY decadent homemade hot chocolate recipe, which is the creamiest ever, or you could use a hot cocoa mix. Everyone knows that hot chocolate is the perfect way to warm up in the cold. This is a wonderful cocktail to enjoy while decorating the Christmas tree, hanging lights, setting the table, or packing up all of the decor after the holiday.
If you’ve never made hot chocolate from scratch, you’ve been missing out! It’s very easy to make and you might have all the ingredients already. If you choose to make my thick and creamy hot chocolate, you will need the following:
Homemade Hot Chocolate Ingredients:
5 cups of whole milk
At least 12 oz of sweetened condensed milk (I use a full 14 oz can)
1 cup of semi-sweet
At least 1 Tsp of vanilla extract (I use 1 Tbs)
I prefer to add my peppermint schnapps to individual cups. That way, anyone who wants to enjoy the yummy hot chocolate can do so! In an average size coffee mug, add 3 oz of peppermint schnapps. Peppermint schnapps has a delicious peppermint/candy cane flavor. Mixed with hot cocoa, it is DELICIOUS! There are several brands of peppermint schnapps, which are more easily found during the holiday season.
Welcome the winter with open arms with a hot cup of cocoa with peppermint. Turn up the Christmas music, light a fire, and enjoy the season. Don’t forget to bake up your our READER FAVORITE chocolate chip cookies to have ready for Santa on Christmas Eve!
Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate
This drink is so festive and beautiful when you top it with whipped cream and holiday sprinkles. I use these holly sprinkles, which make the drink look so fancy and enticing! Any cute little holiday sprinkles will do the trick though. You could also sprinkle on some cinnamon or crushed-up candy cane. Just have fun with it!
More Christmas Treats by Smart School House to Try Next:
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
The THICKEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
Christmas Tree Hand Pies
Christmas Tree Pull-Apart Cheesy Bread
Pretzel Toffee Bark
You Will Need
- 5 cups of whole milk
- At least 12 oz of sweetened condensed milk (I use a full 14 oz can)
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- At least 1 Tsp of vanilla extract (I use 1 Tbs)
- Can of whipped cream
- Peppermint Schnapps
Other Supplies Needed:
- Medium-large pot
- Mixing bowl
**NOTE: You can also use a premade hot cocoa mix if desired!
- Pour milk into pot over low heat
- keep it on low heat the entire time to prevent burning
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract to the milk
- Stir regularly for at least 30 minutes to ensure the chocolate and milk doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pot
- Once hot, squirt ordinary whipped cream into a mixing bowl and stir it with a spoon
- This removes the extra bubbles making it smooth
- Ladle the thick and creamy hot chocolate into a mug
- Stir in 3 oz of peppermint schnapps into the mug (the size of a double-shot glass)
- Add whipped cream and sprinkles on top