Sweet Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken is a family favorite dinner! It is slow cooker season, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t put a delicious Hawaiian flare into our cold weather meals! Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken is the perfect blend of sweet and savory with a delicious pineapple flavor. The thick glaze smothers tender chicken and is wonderful served over rice. The tropical pineapple flavor reminds us of being in Hawaii where tropical flavors are in each meal.
Sweet Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken
This crock pot chicken is a hearty recipe that’s perfect for cold nights! I also love the leftovers for lunch the next day. It is loaded with chicken and pineapple and a dreamy Hawaiian glaze. This sweet Hawaiian crock pot chicken is a family favorite! It’s easy to make and kid friendly.
You will need pineapple slices, the pineapple juice in the can, brown sugar (lightly packed), chicken breast tenders, sweet onion, a couple tablespoons of flour, and cayenne pepper. We use a couple dashes of cayenne pepper, but you can tailor the amount of spice you use based on who you are serving it to. Our kids aren’t a fan of very spice foods yet, so we use just a little.
Start by cutting the chicken breast tenders into 1″ pieces and gently brown the chicken as seen above. There’s no need to over cook the chicken, just a light pan sear, because the chicken will continue to cook in the crock pot. The Hawaiian glaze that coats the chicken and smothers the rice is made by blending pineapple slices, pineapple juice, brown sugar, and onion. You’ll want to stir 2 tablespoons to the puree mixture to thicken up the sauce.
Add the puree to your crock pot, then add the pan seared chicken and more onion on top. Stir all the ingredients together and cook for 6-8 hours on low. The recipe is very forgiving, so you can leave the chicken in for an extra hour depending on when you’re ready to eat. By cooking it on low, it allows the chicken to stay tender. During the last hour of cooking, add additional pineapple chunks to the crock pot. Serve over rice!
More Crock Pot Recipes by Smart School House to Try Next:
You Will Need
- 2 cans of sliced pineapple
- Set aside 1/2 of the juice from 1 can of pineapple slices
- 1/3 cup of lightly packed brown sugar (no need to pack it down)
- 20 oz chicken breast tenders, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 sweet onion, cut into quartered chucks as pictured
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Cayenne pepper to taste, depending on how much spice you prefer
Other supplies needed
- Vegetable oil
- Non-stick spray
- Crock pot
- Lightly brown the chicken chunks in a little bit of vegetable oil. The chicken only needs to be lightly browned because it will continue to cook in the crock pot
- In a blender, combine 1 can of pineapple slices, 1/2 can of pineapple juice, brown sugar, 1/4 of the sweet onion chunks, and pineapple juice. Blend until pureed.
- Prepare your crock pot with non-stick spray
- Add the pineapple puree mixture to the crock pot
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour until fully combined
- Add the lightly browned chicken and remaining 1/4 onion chunks over the pineapple mixture and stir
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours: *For the last hour or so of cooking, cut the pineapple slices into about 12 chunks and add it to the chicken*
- Serve over rice