Published: Apr 22, 2022
Updated: May 25, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My Taco Pizza recipe is one that you will want to put in your regular dinner rotation! It’s easy (made in about 30 minutes), it’s filling, and best of all, it’s mouthwateringly delicious. Some might even say addicting. Can you stop at just one slice of Taco Pizza? Trust me, you’ll want 2 slices! The soft crescent pizza crust is topped with meat and cheese and then covered with a sour cream drizzle. Oh, and I can’t forget the pizza sauce! The special cheese sauce in my Taco Pizza makes it OVER THE TOP!
The great thing about this recipe is you can cut it into large squares and serve it as a main dish. Or, you can cut it into smaller squares and serve it as an appetizer.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
While the crescent dough is baking, simply whip up your ground beef mixture over medium heat while the special cheese sauce is melting. When you’re making the cheese sauce, it just takes a light simmer to gently melt the cheese so that it is spreadable. There is just something about comfort food that everyone loves any time of the year. We made our “pizza cheese sauce” with a spicy taco seasoning, but you could use a mild taco seasoning if you’re cooking for kids or people who don’t like things too spicy. Just a little flavor is all it takes! Did you know that this Taco Pizza was inspired by our extremely popular Taco Pie recipe??
Taco Pizza Ingredients
- Crescent dough sheets – can also be made with homemade pizza dough
- Ground beef – or ground turkey
- Cream cheese – softened to room temperature if possible
- Taco seasoning – a mild, medium, or hot taco seasoning packet based on preference. You can also cook beef in the pan with your own seasonings like chili powder, cumin, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, etc. Stir in any taco seasonings you like!
- Hot sauce – You can substitute this with 1 teaspoon of taco sauce
- Sour cream – full fat or light sour cream
- Shredded cheese – Mexican blend cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, your choice!
- Shredded lettuce – premade or freshly shredded
- Tomatoes – cherry tomatoes sliced into small bite-sized pieces works best
This recipe uses crescent sheets. It’s the same dough as the crescent rolls, so if you can’t find the sheets, you can use the rolls too. But, the sheet is so easy for rolling out into an 8×8 baking dish. The sides bubble up to be slightly thicker, making the perfect pizza crust.
The baked crescent dough is soft, buttery, fluffy, and addicting. While tostada shells and taco shells are traditionally used for Taco Tuesday, this Taco Pizza is also a perfect Taco Tuesday dinner idea. What I love about this pizza, is that it’s incredibly easy to make. With a few shortcuts, you can have this on your dinner table in no time at all!
See how the crescent sheet puffs up into a great square pizza crust? It slides right out of the baking dish in a snap. While keeping the oven on, you then place it on a pizza sheet for the next quick and easy steps. Remember, if you have specific pizza topping favorites, get creative and add them!
With a spatula, spread on the taco flavored cheese sauce over the pizza crust. Then, top with the hot ground beef you cooked while the crust was baking. Next, you drizzle a sour cream secret sauce all over the top of the meat. This sour cream drizzle, combined with the cheese pizza sauce and the crescent crust is what makes my taco pizza extremely delicious!
Taco Pizza Toppings
Before popping it back into the oven, add cheese on top. Place the pizza (which is now on a baking sheet) back into the oven for a few more minutes until the cheese is melted. While the cheese is melting, cut up some tomatoes. I use cherry tomatoes cut into 4 pieces each, but you really can use whatever kinds of tomatoes you like. Is that all you can put on taco pizza? No way! Check out all the additional toppings that can be added:
Pico de Gallo
Guacamole or avocado slices
Fritos or Doritos (because, why not?)
Taco Pizza Sides
- tortilla chips
Once the cheese is melted, pull it out of the oven and top it with shredded lettuce and tomatoes. What I love about serving a taco pizza made with crescent roll crusts is that it cuts into squares with a pizza cutter SO EASILY! The pizza holds its shape because the crust was cooked beforehand. You can eat it by hand or you can eat it with a fork.
“I’ve made this a few times now, my family loves it, even my 6 year old! A+”Jessica
“The perfect twist on Friday pizza night in my house!”Krista
“We loved this!!! Turned out great, an awesome twist to pizza or taco night in our house!! Will be making again!”Sara
If you’re feeding a family of 4, you might want to add some sides, like maybe beans and rice or a salad. If you’re feeding more than 4 people, consider making 2 taco pizzas because it disappears quickly! I cut one 8×8 inch pizza into 4 squares. This Taco Pizza is loaded with beef, cheese, and all your favorite taco toppings! It has become my family’s favorite and I know it will be yours too!
More Recipes to Try Next
Taco Pizza Recipe
- 8×8 baking dish
- Flat baking pan
- Non-stick spray
- Pizza knife
- Mixing bowl
- Pan or skillet for cooking the ground beef
- Small pot for melting the cheese sauce
- 1 can refrigerated crescent dough sheets
- 4 oz cream cheese (½ a bar) (at room temp, if possible)
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning (use a mild, medium, or hot taco seasoning packet based on preference)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- shredded lettuce
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (You can substitute this with 1 teaspoon of taco sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Prepare the 8×8 baking dish with non stick spray
- Roll the crescent sheet out into the bottom of the baking dish
- Bake the crescent sheet for 10-15 minutes until it is golden (be careful, it burns quickly, but you do want the dough cooked through so keep your eye on it!).
While the pizza crust is baking:
- Place the cream cheese into a small pot on simmer
- As the cream cheese begins to melt, add the taco seasoning. Stir frequently
- Cook the ground beef and drain the fat
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the sour cream and hot sauce (or taco sauce)
- When the pizza crust is done baking, remove it from the baking dish and place it on a baking sheet (a spatula helps with this). *NOTE: Keep the oven on!
- Using a spatula, spread the melted seasoned cream cheese sauce on top of the crust
- Add the ground beef over the seasoned cream cheese sauce
- Drizzle the sour cream mixture over the ground beef (you can do this with a spoon, or you can place the sour cream in a baggie and cut the tip to drizzle it like you would on a dessert)
- Cover the pizza with shredded cheese
- On the flat baking sheet, return the pizza to the oven for 3-5 minutes until the cheese topping is melted.
While the cheese topping is melting:
- Prepare your diced tomatoes and shredded cheese
- Optional: have other favorite taco toppings, get those ready too!
- Remove the taco pizza from the oven, sprinkle with shredded lettuce and tomatoes
- Slice the pizza using a pizza roller and serve hot