This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Making your own Mother’s Day cards is one of the most thoughtful things kids can do! Today I’ve put a super sweet twist on a DIY Mother’s Day card. Since we are all going to be at home this Mother’s Day, shopping for gifts is a lot more challenging. If you have paper, dessert toppings, and baggies, the kids can make a thoughtful and “sweet” card for Mom. The card is a free printable and the rest is assembled with some everyday items around the house (that’s how we roll!).
Sundae for Mother’s Day
This free Mother’s Day card is printed out on a plain sheet of white paper. If you don’t have a printer at home, consider having the kids color the card with crayons and markers. Fold it in half and write a message from the heart on the inside before adding the special ice cream sundae toppings.
For this Sundae for Mother’s Day DIY card, you will need:
The free card printable (found HERE). Download the image however you prefer and then print it.
Tape (or staples)
Double-sided tape (or staples)
Plastic sandwich baggies or clear plastic goodie bags (like these)
Sprinkles, peanuts, marshmallows or whatever ice cream toppings you have & love!
We cut each bag down and added the ice cream sundae toppings we have on hand. What’s fun is that you can also find any of these toppings at any grocery store. But, you might already have them on hand. My kids picked what they love most, and I can’t blame them. They were so happy to create this card for me, and that’s all that matters. Plus, it’s kind of hard to not enjoy an ice cream sundae (especially if we’re all stuck at home like we are now!
Be sure to have some ice cream on hand before you give your mom her Mother’s Day card. If you like to make you own ice cream, we have a couple of recipes we love. To make your own ice cream, having heavy cream and sugar is most important. But, a lot of times, you don’t even need an ice cream maker. You know the kids will be just as excited (if not more excited) as mom is to have a fabulous Mother’s Day Sundae.
Ice Cream Recipes by Smart School House:
More Recipe Ideas for Mother’s Day:
A Sundae for Mother's Day - DIY Mother's Day CardPrint Here
You Will Need
- The free card printable (found HERE). Download the image however you prefer and then print it.
- Tape (or staples)
- Double-sided tape (or staples)
- Plastic sandwich baggies or clear plastic goodie bags (like these)
- Sprinkles, peanuts, marshmallows or whatever ice cream toppings you have & love!
- Cut your plastic sandwich baggies or goodie bags into 2 inch pieces.
- Fill the clear bags with various ice cream toppers
- Close the bags by rolling the back over and sealing it completely with tape (you don’t want to sprinkles to fall out when it moves!)
- Starting with the bottom bag first, use double-sided tape to adhere the bag to the card.
- Moving upwards, repeat step #4 with your various ice cream toppings.
- Write a message from the heart inside.