This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ice Cream in a Bag is the most fun you’ll have making ice cream this summer! This has proven to be one of the most popular crafts for our kids! They can make it all by themselves and it tastes SO GOOD! Who knew making ice cream could be this simple? Be sure to pin and save this recipe for the future 🍨 Add sprinkles and chocolate syrup to make an ice cream sundae or even turn the ice cream into a banana split!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Ice Cream in a Bag
“I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!” With ice cream in a bag, each child gets to make their own serving of homemade ice cream. They can watch it freeze before their very own eyes! This is a hit for any age. If you haven’t done this before you are in for a treat, literally! Be sure to make one for yourself.
- Salt (any kind of salt will work)
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
Consider flavoring your ice cream with your favorite ingredients! You can add them on top (like fruit and sprinkles) or you can add them in the bag (like chocolate chips)!
As you can see in the video, we have a special trick for making ice cream even easier. Traditionally, you’d place the ice and salt in a large gallon size bag. Then, you’d place the smaller bag filled with the ingredients inside the larger bag. Shaking a bag of ice for 10 minutes sure does make your hands cold! This trick for using a plastic food storage container with a lid to shake the ice cream in a bag keeps fingers from freezing:) SO simple and easy to do.
Ice Cream in a Bag Recipe
Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1 Gallon plastic Tupperware type container
- 1 Quart size bag
- 8+ cups of ice
- ¼ cup salt (any kind of salt will work)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Toppings of choice (sprinkles, fruit, chocolate syrup, etc.)
- In the Quart size bag, add the cream/milk, vanilla, and sugar
- Seal the bag closed tightly
- Add the ice and salt to the plastic tub container
- Put the baggie of liquid mixture into the plastic tub and close it with the plastic lid
- Shake for 10 minutes (as seen in video)
- Add topings and enjoy!