Sloppy Joe Dip is irresistible when served hot or warm. This versatile appetizer is a ground beef mixture that is a thicker, cheesier version of a sloppy joe and the perfect dip for toasted baguette slices.
Sloppy Joe Dip
This recipe checks all the boxes for a hot party dip for the holidays or game day. All the flavors of sloppy joes plus lots of cheese. I could eat this for lunch or dinner, not just as an appetizer! Turn a family-friendly dinner idea into an appetizer that your friends won’t be able to get enough of.
Sloppy Joe Dip Ingredients
Meat: Use lean ground beef or turkey. I do not drain the fat because there is so much flavor that is cooked with the meat, but you can drain the meat if desired. The leaner the meat, the better.
Liquid Mixture: Added to the meat are diced green bell peppers, diced onion, as well as beef broth (or beef stock). The flour works the thicken the liquid mixture.
Seasonings: Minced garlic, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, chili powder, ketchup, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce are simmered together to create a flavor of sloppy joe perfection! Topped with ooey-gooey cheese, this combo can’t be beat.
Toasted Baguettes: this dip worthy bread is my favorite. However, just like chili, Fritos are also delicious!
Begin by browning the meat along with the bell pepper, onion, minced garlic, salt, flour, and sugar. This process takes about 15 minutes. I like to use frozen diced onions and peppers, so they take a tiny bit longer to defrost and cook with the meat. The flour will make the meat mixture nice and thick.
Next, add the beef broth, ketchup, dijon mustard, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to the beef mixture. Now, simmer the sloppy joe mixture for about 45 minutes stirring regularly. During this time, the moisture cooks away and the delicious dip will begin to thicken again.
Sloppy Joe Dip Recipe
Stir in half of the cheese and continue to mix until it is melted. From that point, transfer the sloppy joe dip into an oven-safe baking dish. Add the remaining cheese and broil the dip for a few minutes. This will make the cheese bubbly and slightly brown on top. Serve hot or warm and enjoy with baked baguettes or Fritos!
More Appetizers by Smart School House to Try Next:
Sloppy Joe Dip
You Will Need
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 cups of diced green bell peppers – fresh or frozen
- 1 cup of diced onion – fresh or frozen
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 2 TSP salt
- 3 TBS flour
- 1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
- 1/2 TSP chili powder
- 1 cup of beef broth – or beef stock
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 TSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of shredded cheese – Cheddar, or blended cheese of choice
Other supplies needed:
- Large pot or pan
- Oven safe baking dish
- The dish you see in my photos can be used stovetop or in the oven
- In a large pot or pan, add the ground beef, green bell peppers, onion, garlic, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Over medium heat, cook the ground beef stirring regularly for about 15 minutes or until the meat is browned and the onions are beginning to look translucent.
- To the meat mixture, add the beef broth, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
- Simmer for 45 minutes over medium heat until the moisture cooks out and the sloppy joe mixture becomes thick.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the meat mixture and stir until melted
- If needed, transfer the meat mixture to an oven-safe dish
- Add the remaining 1 cup of cheese to the middle of the dish and broil it in the oven for a few minutes. This will make the cheese on top brown and bubbly! But, keep your eye on it because this only takes a few minutes on broil
*Serve with baked baguette slices or Fritos!