This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sloppy Joe Dip is irresistible when served hot or warm. This versatile appetizer is a ground beef mixture that is a thicker, cheesier version of a sloppy joe and the perfect dip for toasted baguette slices.
Sloppy Joe Dip
This recipe checks all the boxes for a hot party dip for the holidays or game day. All the flavors of sloppy joes plus lots of cheese. I could eat this for lunch or dinner, not just as an appetizer! Turn a family-friendly dinner idea into an appetizer that sloppy joe fans won’t be able to get enough of.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- Meat: Use lean ground beef or ground turkey. I do not drain the fat because there is so much flavor that is cooked with the meat, but you can drain the meat if desired. The leaner the meat, the better.
- Liquid Mixture: Added to the meat are diced green bell peppers, diced onion, as well as beef broth (or beef stock). The flour works the thicken the liquid mixture.
- Seasonings: Minced garlic, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, chili powder, ketchup, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce are simmered together to create a flavor of sloppy joe perfection! Topped with ooey-gooey cheese, this combo can’t be beaten.
- Toasted Baguettes: this dip-worthy bread is my favorite. However, just like chili, Fritos and other corn chips are also delicious!
Begin by browning the meat along with the bell pepper, onion, minced garlic, salt, flour, and sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat. This process takes about 15 minutes. I like to use frozen diced onions and peppers, so they take a tiny bit longer to defrost and cook with the meat. The flour will make the meat mixture nice and thick.
Next, add the beef broth, ketchup, dijon mustard, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to the beef mixture. Now, simmer the sloppy joe mixture for about 45 minutes stirring regularly. During this time, the moisture cooks away and the delicious dip will begin to thicken again.
Stir in half of the cheese and continue to mix until it is melted. From that point, transfer the sloppy joe dip into an oven-safe baking dish. Add the remaining cheese and broil the dip for a few minutes. This will make the cheese bubbly and slightly brown on top. Serve hot or warm and enjoy with baked baguettes or Fritos!
- Shredded cheese
- Diced yellow onions
- Green onion
- Bagel chips
Sloppy Joe Dip Recipe
Sloppy Joe Dip
- Large pan or skillet
- Oven-safe baking dish. The dish you see in my photos can be used stovetop or in the oven.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 cups diced green bell peppers – fresh or frozen
- 1 cup diced onion – fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup beef broth – or beef stock
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese – Cheddar, or blended cheese of choice
- In a large pot or pan, add the ground beef, green bell peppers, onion, garlic, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Over medium heat, cook the ground beef stirring regularly for about 15 minutes or until the meat is browned and the onions are beginning to look translucent.
- To the meat mixture, add the beef broth, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
- Simmer for 45 minutes over medium heat until the moisture cooks out and the sloppy joe mixture becomes thick.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the meat mixture and stir until melted
- If needed, transfer the meat mixture to an oven-safe dish
- Add the remaining 1 cup of cheese to the middle of the dish and broil it in the oven for a few minutes. This will make the cheese on top brown and bubbly! But, keep your eye on it because this only takes a few minutes on broil
- Serve with baked baguette slices or Fritos!