The easiest Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole packed with chicken, cheese and an amazing sour cream sauce. A delicious, creamy, enchilada casserole. It comes together in no time and it tastes divine. You are going to love it… These are the same ingredients used to make chicken enchiladas, but easier than rolling up a bunch of tortillas. Great for anyone who is craving some comfort food! This easy enchilada recipe is OVER THE TOP!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
These are the best Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas and they get even better the next day as leftovers and also freeze great. It’s a great weeknight recipe the whole family will love! Made with shredded chicken, sour cream, diced green chilis, cheese, and corn tortillas. Delicious!
We love Mexican food at our house. Tacos, burritos, taquitos, nachos … we eat those things on a regular basis! This dinner recipe is made in one baking dish and is done in less than an hour from start to finish making clean up a breeze. If you’re ever in the mood for some comfort food, this Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada recipe is for YOU! It’s warm, filling, and loaded with creamy enchilada flavor. Enchilada casserole doesn’t get better than this!
The ingredients are simple and easy to find. You’ll need shredded chicken, cooked however you like. You can even use rotisserie chicken if you’re running short on time. In addition, you’ll need shredded sharp cheddar cheese, milk, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, diced green chilies, and corn tortillas. For seasoning, you need black pepper (to taste), garlic powder, and dried chopped onion.
Since this is a casserole and you want it to be easy to make, serve, and eat, you will cut the corn tortillas into 4 pieces (by cutting each tortilla in 1/2 two times). In a 9×13″ dish, place the cut up tortillas at the bottom. Next you’ll put half of the shredded chicken on top of the tortilla pieces.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
After that, you’ll pour on 1/2 of the special cream enchilada casserole sauce. This is made by mixing the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, milk, diced green chilies, and seasonings. So simple, sooo creamy and delicious!
Then, sprinkle 1/2 of the sharp cheddar cheese on top of the creamy sour cream enchilada mixture. I love using sharp cheddar because it adds a great amount of flavor and it also melts smoothly (just like you see in the pictures!). When anybody sees this melted cheese, they can’t help but want some:) Especially with how great it makes the house smell as it’s baking. As seen in the video, you repeat the layering process for two full layers of tortillas, chicken, sour cream enchilada mixture, and cheese.
After that, cover the baking dish with foil and bake it for 40 minutes. Get ready for everyone to slowly come down to the kitchen and ask what’s for dinner during this process. Just trust me… they’ll be hungry. As soon as they see the ooey gooey cheese sauce on the enchiladas, they’ll be starving! If you’re serving more than 4-5 people, you might want to make a double batch. These disappear quickly and the leftovers are divine, so you’ll definitely want leftovers for lunch.
TIP: We like to make a second pan of these Easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas to put in the freezer. It doesn’t take any longer to make two pans and we have dinner for another night. For the freezer friendly version, I recommend using a disposable aluminum baking pan. When ready, bake the casserole at the same temperature for a longer amount of time.
Tips for Add-Ins to this Sour Cream Enchilada Recipe:
Try ground beef or shredded beef
Try rotisserie chicken
Add diced tomatoes to the sauce or on top of the enchiladas
Cilantro, green onion, or pice de gallo always pairs well with any Mexican recipe
More Mexican Food Recipes by Smart School House:
You Will Need
- 4 cups of shredded chicken (cooked however you prefer)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 small 4 oz can of diced green chilies
- 1 cup of sour cream (we happen to use light, but any kind works)
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 TSP of garlic powder
- 2 TBS of dried chopped onion
- Pepper (to taste)
Other Supplies Needed:
- 9×13″ baking dish
- Non-stick spray
- Mixing bowl
- Prepare 4 cups of shredded chicken however desired
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
- Prepare baking dish with non-stick spray
- In a bow, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, chilies, and seasonings
- Cut 6 tortillas into 4 equal pieces (by cutting them in half twice)
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with the tortilla pieces
- Put 2 cups (1/2) of the shredded chicken over the tortilla pieces
- Pour 1/2 of the sour cream mixture over the shredded chicken (smooth with a spoon, as needed)
- Add 1/2 of the shredded cheese on top of the sour cream mixture
- Cut up 6 more tortillas into quarters and place them over the shredded cheese
- Repeat the layering process by adding the remaining chicken, then the remaining sour cream mixture, and the rest of the shredded cheese
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes
Wonderful when served with Spanish rice, beans, guacamole (or slices of avocado), and even a fresh side salad.