Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
It’s no secret that we love making homemade cleaning products here at Smart School House. When my kids were babies, I realized how easy and important it was to be aware of products we use around our home.
Today I’m sharing a beautiful, fun, and simple DIY homemade laundry detergent recipe. With just 3 ingredients, you can make lots of laundry soap and save a lot of money in the process! With this recipe, each load of laundry will cost about 20¢ or 15¢ if you don’t want to use fragrance beads. I love doing things the old school way sometimes! You just can’t beat homemade…..
To make Homemade Laundry detergent, you will need:
- 1 cup of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda
- 1 cup of Borax
- 2 cups of grated Zote laundry bar
- 3/4 cups of laundry fragrance beads (optional)
- Hand grater
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Container for storage and a scoop
The ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda as well as the other ingredients can easily be found in the laundry isle. I get mine from Walmart and it is also available at Dollar General. ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda is a natural detergent booster and freshener, making it essential for this DIY laundry detergent! This recipe will make exactly the amount you see in the pictures (about 3.5 cups or about 60 loads of laundry), so you’ll have a lot more ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda to use around the home because it adds extra cleaning and freshening power to various tough household jobs.
Watch how quick, easy, and fun it is to make:
- Grate 2 cups of the laundry bar (about 1/2 of the bar)
- Pour it into a large mixing bowl and add 1 cup of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda
- Add 1 cup of Borax
- Add 3/4 cups of fragrance booster beads (I like the pink ones!)
- Gently mix until full combined
- Pour the mixture into a storage glass with a small scooping spoon or measuring spoon
- Add 1 tablespoon to a regular size load. Add more to a larger load.
This is a low sudsing formula so it is ok to use on HE washing machines (always follow your machine instructions when adding products)
It smells so good and works fabulously! ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda increases your detergents cleaning power to get out ground-in dirt and stains and cuts through greasy soils. It is all natural and 100% Fragrance & Phosphate Free.
Make it over and over again! I like to make small batches since we don’t have a gigantic laundry room. This is just enough for us to use for a little while and then I quickly make more when we’re out. The fragrance beads are optional, but have fun with it and make it your own!
For more DIY cleaning ideas, check out our other tutorials:
This giveaway is now closed.