This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
As you know, doughs and slimes have been all the rage with kiddos for a few years. Along came TikTok and the bigger kids graduated into everything “aesthetic”! Our Crystal Dough is a perfect example of what “aesthetic” means to the kids. Aesthetic is all about smooth movements, intriguing colors, and sounds that are satisfying. Those of you with kids my age know exactly what I’m describing:) It’s fun, it’s harmless, and aesthetic dough is entertaining.
Our Crystal Dough is smooth, soft, and colorful. This DIY dough tutorial is not only super easy to make, you probably have the main dough ingredients in your house already. Your kids will LOVE this craft! It smells so good and keeps kids entertained at home (which we all need right now!).
After quickly mixing up the 2 ingredient ultra-soft dough, stamp it into colorful chunky iridescent glitter and rainbow sprinkles. The combo of these two things makes the dough look like a colorful crystal rock! Crystals are colorful, shiny, and beautiful. Each one is different, just like how this dough looks when you move it in your hands. We made a TikTok video of this aesthetic dough recipe. Check it out… my daughter had so much fun:
@smartschoolhouseCrystals give the world good energy. Recipe in the comments! ##aesthetic ##clouddough ##crystals ##crystal ##learnontiktok ##kidstiktok ##kidsactivites ##diy♬ VICTORY – Steven Cooper
Isn’t that fun? We live in Southern California and have been stuck at home for, well, an entire year pretty much. Can you relate? Thank goodness for fun things like TikTok to keep us busy! Are you on TikTok? So are we (see our account here)! We’re a family friendly account with easy recipes and DIY crafts for all ages.
Kids are perfectly capable of mixing together this dough. Well, keep in mind that this type of dough is not for toddlers. This is definitely for kids 7 years or older. Of course, you can make it with younger kids who are interested as long as you keep an eye on them. As with all dough recipes, it can get messy if you don’t work slowly and keep things under control.
You can make a small batch or a bigger batch of Crystal Dough. Simply mix together 1 part conditioner with 2 parts flour. My daughter grabbed one of the conditioner bottles she had in her bathroom, which smells really good. You do not have to use a specific brand of conditioner. Any kind will do! For this reason, you might have to add a little more flour or conditioner to get the consistency.
Crystal dough is soft, slow moving, and smells good. Once you dip it into the glitter and sprinkles, it turns into a beautiful iridescent crystal looking dough. As you move it in your hands (as seen in the TikTok video above), the crystal appearance changes in your hands. That’s exactly what aesthetic is. Kids would say it’s, “satisfying”. FUN!
More Popular Dough Recipes by Smart School House:
You Will Need
- Hair conditioner (any brand)
- All-Purpose flour
- Chunky iridescent glitter
- Small rainbow sprinkles (the kind you put on frosting, found in the baking aisle)
Other supplies needed:
- Mixing bowl
- Wax paper
- Sealable plastic baggie for storage
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 part conditioner with 2 parts all-purpose flour.
- For example: 1/4 cup conditioner with 1/2 flour
- Mix the ingredients together until the dough is not sticky.
- Use your hands to check the level of stickiness.
- If it is too sticky, sprinkle in more flour until it is soft (but not dry)
- Over wax paper, put a small pile of glitter next to a small pile of sprinkles
- Dip the soft dough ball into the glitter and sprinkles
- Gently bend and fold the sprinkles and glitter into the dough for an aesthetic crystal dough experience!
- Store dough in a sealable plastic baggie