Edible Play Dough
Today is such an exciting day!! I’ve been so eager to share our newest edible play dough recipe with you! It’s incredible, it’s edible, and it just so happens to be play dough (which will make you feel like such a fun mom!). You’ll never believe what this stuff is made of…
Last updated: December 29, 2017
This post was originally published on April 28, 2014. I’ve updated the supplies and directions to make it even better!
When you think of edible play dough, what ingredients do you imagine? Will it taste sweet? Will it have flour? How soft will it feel? I can’t wait to show you….
To reveal my little secret: Yes, it will taste sweet! In fact, if you were a fan of my Ice Cream Play Dough then you’ll LOVE this play dough recipe too!
Ingredients for Edible Play Dough
- 1 cup of pre-made frosting (vanilla or white)
- 2 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
- Tip: Colored frosting works too! Powder sugar measurements may vary depending on the brand and color of the frosting used.
Tools Needed to Make Edible Play Dough
- Measuring cups
- Kitchen Aid stand mixer (or something similar)
- Kitchen Aid edge beater (or something similar)
- Play dough toys or cookie cutters (optional)
How to Make Edible Play Dough
- Place the powdered sugar in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer
- Slowly add 2 cups the powder sugar to the bowl
- Mix on low speed
- Continually scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure all of the ingredients are mixing
- Before adding the last 3/4 cup of powdered sugar to the bowl, touch the play dough to test the “stickiness” of it
- Add the remaining powdered sugar until the play dough feels soft as opposed to sticky. NOTE: You might not need to use the remaining 3/4 cup of powdered sugar:)
Roll it into one big ball and make sure it is not crumbly or sticky. If, by chance, you added a little too much powdered sugar, don’t worry! We aren’t perfect! Simply sprinkle a little olive oil onto the play dough and BOOM! Problem solved!
You might also like these DIY hands-on play ideas too!
Yogurt Silly Putty (totally edible!)
Ice Cream Play Dough (edible!)