Cinnamon Roll Cake is a cinnamon roll turned into a gooey gooey delicious cake! This takes your favorite breakfast treat and puts it in cake form. Swirled with buttery brown sugar cinnamon and topped with a glaze. If you’re looking for a shortcut, this recipe is it!
Cinnamon Roll Cake
This cinnamon roll cake has all the flavor of a cinnamon roll but in an easy cake with a vanilla icing drizzled on top. It is AMAZING! Plus, it makes the house smell SO good. Whether you make it for breakfast or as a dessert, everyone loves when the house smells like cinnamon rolls. It’s such a comforting and cozy scent.
Just look at that amazing swirled buttery brown sugar cinnamon… yum! It goes in the oven looking like a cinnamon roll and comes out super soft and packed with mouthwatering flavor. Let’s be honest, it practically melts in your mouth. This sweet and moist irresistible treat has all of the warm, ooey gooey, cinnamon taste you love from a cinnamon roll, without any of the fuss!
Mix cinnamon topping ingredients together and drop over the cake using a spoon. It doesn’t have to be perfect because you will then swirl the topping and cake mixture with a knife going up and down the length of the pan..
CAN I SUBSTITUTE WITH A HOMEMADE CAKE?
Yes! I use a butter yellow cake because it enhances the buttery cinnamon that is swirled on top. However, if you prefer to make your own cake, that will work too! Any homemade white, yellow, or butter cake recipe will work for this. Simply swirl in the cinnamon filling as seen in the directions below as usual.
CAN I USE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING FOR A CINNAMON ROLL CAKE?
Our recipe is more of a glaze, but you can definitely make a cream cheese frosting instead. No matter the frosting or glaze you prefer, the cake will be slightly brown and the edges will slightly pull away from the sides.
HOW DO I TELL IF THE CAKE IS DONE?
Because this recipe calls for a box cake, you need to know that the cake does bake for longer than shown on the box. That’s because of the buttery cinnamon swirls on top. How to know if it’s done? Stick a toothpick in the center, and if it comes out clean, it’s done.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
You Will Need
For the Cake:
- Yellow Butter Cake Mix (can also use plain yellow cake)
- Room temperature butter, water, and eggs as shown on the back of the box (cake mix ingredients may vary depending on what cake mix you choose)
For the Cinnamon Filling:
- 1.5 sticks of room temperature butter (3/4 cup)
- 1 TBS of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups of powder sugar
- 1 TBS of vanilla
- 4 TBS milk
Other Supplies Needed:
- 9×13 baking dish
- Non stick spray
- 3 mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Butter knife
Make the Cake Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare baking dish with non stick spray
- Mix the cake batter according to the directions on the box
- Pour the cake batter in the baking dish
Make the Cinnamon Filling:
- Using an electric mixer, combine the soft butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar
- Using a spoon, put scoops of the cinnamon filling over the top of the entire dish of cake batter
- Take your butter knife and swirl the cinnamon filling around into the cake batter. This is so easy to do if you draw shapes of “8” throughout the dish.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until done. Be sure to use a toothpick to determine if the center is baked.
- Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes
Make the Glaze:
- In the 3rd mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk
- I like to place the glaze in the refrigerator while the cake is cooling but this part is optional
- Drizzle the glaze over the entire cake or over individual pieces
- I find that the leftover cake saves better if you drizzle individual pieces as opposed to the entire cake. Save the drizzle in a covered container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
**Serve the cake warm or cooled. Leftover cake can be gently microwaved if desired. Great if served as a breakfast treat or with ice cream for dessert.