This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cinnamon Roll Cake is swirled with buttery brown sugar cinnamon and topped with a sweet glaze.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
This warm cake has all the flavor of a cinnamon roll but in an easy cake with a vanilla icing drizzle on top. It is AMAZING! Plus, it makes the house smell SO good. Whether you make it for breakfast or as a dessert, everyone loves when the house smells like cinnamon rolls. It’s such a comforting and cozy scent.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- Yellow Butter Cake Mix (plus ingredients listed on the back of the box like egg, water, butter, etc.)
- ground cinnamon
- brown sugar
For the Glaze:
- powder sugar
- vanilla extract
Just look at that amazing swirled buttery brown sugar cinnamon in the cake batter… yum! It goes in the oven looking like a cinnamon roll and comes out super soft and packed with mouthwatering flavor. Let’s be honest, it practically melts in your mouth. This sweet and moist irresistible treat has all of the warm, ooey gooey, cinnamon taste you love from a cinnamon roll, without any of the fuss!
In a large bowl using an electric mixer or stand mixer, combine the soft butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Using a spoon, put scoops of the cinnamon filling over the top of the entire dish of cake batter.
Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Stir the cake ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the cake mixture into the dish.
Add dollops of the cinnamon mixture on top of the cake batter. Take your butter knife and swirl the cinnamon filling around into the cake batter. This is so easy to do if you draw shapes of “8” throughout the pan.
Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until done (the toothpick test works great for this cake).
Making the Glaze Topping
Whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. I like to place the glaze in the refrigerator while the cake is cooling. Drizzle the glaze over the entire cake or pour it over individual slices.
- Replace the glaze with cream cheese frosting
Easy Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 9×13 baking dish
- Non-stick spray
- 3 mixing bowls
- Electric Mixer
- Butter knife
For the Cake:
- Yellow Butter Cake Mix (can also use plain yellow cake)
- Plus the ingredients on the back of the cake box like butter, water, and eggs – each brand varies.
For the Cinnamon Filling:
- ¾ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
For the Glaze:
- 2 cup powder sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk
Make the Cake Batter
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Prepare a baking dish with non-stick spray
- Mix the cake batter according to the directions on the box
- Pour the cake batter in the baking dish
Make the Cinnamon Filling:
- Using an electric mixer, combine the soft butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar
- Using a spoon, put scoops of the cinnamon filling over the top of the entire dish of cake batter
- Take your butter knife and swirl the cinnamon filling around into the cake batter. This is so easy to do if you draw shapes of “8” throughout the dish.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until done. Be sure to use a toothpick to determine if the center is baked.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes
Make the Glaze:
- In the 3rd mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk
- I like to place the glaze in the refrigerator while the cake is cooling but this part is optional
- Drizzle the glaze over the entire cake or over individual pieces. I find that the leftover cake saves better if you drizzle individual pieces as opposed to the entire cake. Save the drizzle in a covered container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.