Meatball Sub Casserole
Published: Oct 15, 2021
Updated: Jun 01, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Meatball Sub Casserole is hearty, delicious, and bursting with flavor! Whether it’s a chilly night, a holiday get-together, or Super Bowl Sunday, this Casserole fits the bill! It’s easy to make, fills you up, and makes the house smell so good while it’s cooking. Layers of meatballs, creamy mozzarella cheese, and a special cheese sauce all on top of garlic toast. This meatball sub-casserole is a perfect weeknight dinner.
Meatball Sub Casserole
It’s so easy to enjoy this sub-style in casserole form! Grab a fork and sink your teeth into this delectable Meatball Sub Casserole. We love using thick slices of Texas Toast, but any thick-cut crusty bread will work. If you like meatball subs, this recipe is sure to be a favorite. It’s fast, flavorful, and with a green salad…becomes a meal! Meatball Sub Casserole is a super easy casserole dish that tastes like a meatball sub but in casserole form. So good and a family favorite!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
This is one of the best casseroles you will ever make! Not only was it super easy to make but the flavors blended so well together. Every bite is better than before. Melted mozzarella cheese, delicious Italian meatballs, and buttery garlic bread. Oh, but it’s the special cheese sauce that everyone loves!
- Frozen Italian Style Meatballs – beef or turkey meatballs work
- Marinara sauce (or your favorite spaghetti sauce)
- Texas Toast – or french bread, italian bread, or loaf of choice
- Cream cheese
- Mozzarella cheese slices
- Italian seasoning
Start by cooking one frozen bag of Italian-style meatballs. They cook to tender perfection in about 20 minutes. Do you have a favorite meatball recipe? Use that! Or, you can use fresh meatballs (not frozen). However, frozen meatballs work perfectly. Cook the meatballs in a skillet with pasta sauce.
While the meatballs are cooking, bake a box of Texas Toast according to the directions on the box (about 8 or 9 minutes). Once they are done, place them at the bottom of a baking dish prepared with cooking spray. When I’m in a hurry, I use aluminum baking dishes we keep in our pantry. They make cleanup a breeze! These aluminum dishes are about 9 x 11.
While the meatballs are cooking and the garlic bread is baking, begin melting the secret cheese sauce! What’s in it? Combine cream cheese, Italian seasoning, and Ricotta cheese. It makes me drool just thinking about it! Once the bread is done baking, place as many pieces as you can at the bottom of your baking dish. If they don’t all fit, cut some slices up and fill in any gaps with pieces of Texas Toast. Just cover the bottom of the dish with as much bread as you can (in a single layer).
After putting the garlic toast on the pan, pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the bread slices. Use a spatula to cover the toast evenly. Then, put the cooked meatballs and marinara sauce over the cheese sauce.
Finally, place slices of mozzarella cheese over the meatballs. Why slices? They melt in a delicious-looking ooey-gooey way. I like to sprinkle fresh parsley on top, but that is just optional for color. If you serve it with a yummy green salad, you are good to go! With quick prep and cook time, it is a tasty alternative to pasta night!
Homemade meatballs can be used in this dish. They just need to be fully cooked beforehand. This is a family-friendly meal and using the pre-made meatballs really makes this quick to make.
Add more seasoning to customize the taste to your liking.
This can be a freezer-friendly casserole: Assemble the casserole, cover it, and freeze it.
Some people enjoy baking this casserole without the bread at the bottom and then adding the bread on top at the end. Either way works!
Not a belly will be empty! It’s hard to have just one serving:) Loaded with meatballs, the buttery Texas Toast with the special cheese sauce is addicting, and the mozzarella on top completes it. DELICIOUS!
More Casseroles Recipes to Try Next
Meatball Sub Casserole Recipe:
Meatball Sub Casserole
- Baking sheet for garlic bread
- Baking dish (about a 9 x 11)
- Pan for cooking meatballs
- Small pot for melting cheese sauce
- Non-stick spray
- 2 pound bag of Frozen Italian Style Meatballs
- 24 ounce can of Marinara sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)
- 1 box Texas Toast (about 8 slices)
- 8 ounces cream Cheese
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 6-8 slices Mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
For the Cheese Sauce
- In a small pot over low heat, combine the cream cheese and Ricotta cheese
- Once it begins to melt, add the Italian seasoning
- Stir frequently until fully melted
For the Meatballs
- Place the meatballs and marinara sauce in a pan with a lid
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through(stir occasionally)
Assembling the Casserole
- Bake the Texas Toast according to the directions on the box before (about 5-10 minutes)
- Set the heat to your oven to 350° after the garlic toast is done
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with Texas Toast. Fill in gaps at the bottom of the dish bwith small pieces of the toast. Make sure it’s one layer covering the whole bottom of the dish
- Pour the melted cheese sauce over the garlic toast. Use a spatula to spread the cheese evenly
- Add the cooked meatballs and marinara sauce over the cheese sauce
- Add 6-8 slices of sliced mozzarella on top of the meatballs. More is better!
- Bake for 20 minutes