Meatball Sub Sliders are perfect for parties, snacks, weeknight meals, summer days, and even holidays! Super soft bakery rolls, layered with ricotta, juicy meatballs, mozzarella, and a delicious garlic parmesan butter glaze. My recipe is perfect for a family of 4, yet you can easily double or triple the recipe for a larger family or party.
Meatball Sub Sliders
Because I am such a fan of easy and convenient recipes, I enjoy using frozen Italian meatballs. My kids just LOVE them! They always come out tender and juicy. However, you can always use a homemade recipe or even a crock pot recipe. Since I make 8 meatball sliders, I only cook 8 meatballs with 1/2 a jar of the pasta sauce.
Italian Style Meatballs (frozen or homemade)
Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Basil (or Italian seasoning) and Pepper to Taste
The BEST rolls to use for these sliders are fresh bakery rolls. You can find bakery rolls in the bakery section or bread aisle at any grocery store. They are square in size and perfect for small handheld sandwiches. Bakery rolls are SUPER SOFT and the perfect bread for this recipe. Hawaiian rolls are also a delicious alternative. Hawaiian roll meatball sliders are so delicious too!
To begin, preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare a smaller size rectangular baking dish with non-stick spray. For this recipe that makes 8 small subs, I use an 11×7 dish, but anything 9×13 or smaller will work. If you’re doubling the recipe, you can use a larger baking dish. The baking dish is simply used to warm the sandwiches, so use the size that works for how many sliders you’re making.
Next, cut the buns in half and layer the bottom pieces of the rolls in the baking dish. Using a spatula, cover the bread with 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese. You can use more or less ricotta as desired. If you’re using frozen Italian meatballs as we do, bake them for 20 minutes on medium-low heat with 1/2 jar of marinara sauce (12 oz).
Place one meatball on each roll. Using the extra sauce in the pan, spoon on a little extra marinara sauce on top of each meatball. Sprinkle some basil and grated parmesan on top of the meatballs. Finally, cut 2 slices of mozzarella into 8 small squares (cutting each in half twice) and place them on top of each meatball. Here’s a quick TikTok video of me making these meatball sliders:
@smartschoolhouseMEATBALL SUB SLIDERS! Bake at 350 for 20 mins ##alwayslearning ##learnontiktok ##family ##dinner ##recipesforyou ##recipesoftiktok ##yum ##learntocook ##food♬ BACHATA – Freddy Petit
Meatball Sub Sliders
Place the top buns over the meatballs and cheese. Here’s a tip: you CAN cut the meatballs in half to make them easier for kids to eat. In a small bowl, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan, and a dash of basil and pepper to the melted butter. Baste the garlic butter mixture generously over each roll.
Cover and bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the rolls are warm and the mozzarella is melted. This part is easy because the meatballs are already cooked and warm before going into the oven. The ricotta cheese on the meatball sliders is really what makes them so delicious. These meatball sliders are buttery, cheesy, and full of Italian flavors. Plus you can’t beat the gooey melted mozzarella cheese…I mean look at it! YUM!
Serve the warm, delicious, soft meatball sliders with a side salad or chips if it’s lunchtime. Our pasta salad is also great for sunny days. Since there are 4 people in my family, 2 sliders each is great for us! They are decadent and filling. Whether it’s game day or a summer day out by the pool, these sandwiches are always a favorite! Be sure to whip up our famous Chocolate Chip Cookies for dessert!
More Recipes by Smart School House to Try with These Sliders:
Easy Meatball Sub Sliders Recipe
Meatball Sub Sliders
- Small Rectangle Baking Dish (11×7 or 9×13)
- Non-stick spray
- Microwave safe bowl
- Bread Knife
- Basting brush
- 8 Italian Style Meatballs (I use frozen but you can use homemade)
- 12 ounce Marinara Sauce (about 1/2 a jar)
- 8 Bakery Rolls
- 2 Slices of Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- ¼ teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Basil and Pepper to Taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Prepare meatballs as desired. If you’re using frozen meatballs, cook them on medium-low heat in the marinara sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare baking dish with nonstick spray
- Using a bread knife, cut the rolls in half and put the bottom halves in the baking dish as pictured
- With a spatula, spread the ricotta cheese evenly over the bread in the baking dish
- Place 1 meatball in the center of each roll. Spoon a little of the remaining marinara sauce over each meatball. *TIP* - Tip, you CAN cut the meatballs in half, which makes eating them easier – especially for kiddos with smaller hands!
- Sprinkle grated parmesan and basil over the meatballs to taste
- Cut the 2 slices of mozzarella into quarters (cut each slice in half twice to make 8 smaller squares)
- Place the mozzarella squares on top of each meatball
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and stir in the minced garlic and tablespoon of grated parmesan. Add a dash of basil and pepper to taste.
- Cover each slider with the top half of bread
- With a basting brush, cover the tops with the garlic butter
- Cover with foil
- Bake for 20 minutes