Mexican Chicken and Rice Dinner
Published: Mar 01, 2022
Updated: Jun 12, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My Mexican Chicken and Rice Dinner Recipe is an easy and delicious meal! This dinner recipe is made in one pan and is done just in 30 minutes making cleaning a breeze. Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole is topped with ooey gooey cheese and filled with staples from your pantry! You can substitute the chicken with other meats and you can choose from a variety of toppings.
Mexican Chicken and Rice
Perfect for busy weeknights! Our family LOVES Mexican food and that’s why this dinner is one of our favorites. A perfect go-to meal when you’re craving Mexican food. It’s easy, quick, and loaded with flavors from your favorite Mexican restaurant. You really can’t beat it!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Plus, you can choose from a variety of toppings found at all grocery stores. I highly recommend serving it with fresh slices of avocado and sour cream. I always add extra green onion or pico de gallo on top. If you like your Mexican meals really spicy, consider adding a guacamole salsa.
I love to make easy meals. I love it even more when there is minimal mess. For this dinner recipe, you need one 8×8 baking dish and one mixing bowl. That’s it! Easy meals like this are the absolute best because they taste great but don’t have a sink full of dishes to wash. With this recipe, you will get just that.
Mexican Chicken and Rice Ingredients
- Shredded chicken – skinless chicken breast, chicken thighs, or rotisserie chicken. The protein of your choice!
- Cooked rice – white rice, long-grain rice for more fiber, or a brown rice mixture
- Black beans – Pinto or refried beans work as well
- Corn – be sure to drain the liquid
- Cheese – Mexican blend or any queso of your choice!
- Cream cheese – it really brings this one-pan ooey gooey meal complete!
- Chunky salsa – the extra tomato in chunky salsa really does the trick
- Cumin – a dash of chili powder is great if you like a little extra spice
- Garlic powder – I know this doesn’t sound like a taco seasoning, but trust me on this one!
- Onion powder – since this is a large skillet meal, onion powder saves space while providing all the flavor
- Salt and pepper – also, a couple of teaspoons of fresh cilantro on top is so yummy!
This Mexican chicken and rice dinner is filled with shredded chicken, rice, corn, and black beans, all in a one-dish cheesy chicken casserole. Simple to make and a great way to use up leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken.
Mix the ingredients together and place them all in a baking dish. It will bake for 25 minutes covered in foil, then the last 5 minutes uncovered. BOOM! Dinner is on the table in 30 minutes!
Mexican Chicken and Rice Dinner Recipe
As mentioned, you can use different meat, but did you know you can also substitute rice for pasta? Absolutely! Think elbow-style pasta for the ultimate twist on this easy Mexican recipe. I used brown rice (I have SUCH a love for brown rice), but you can use any kind of rice you choose. Since we go through so much brown rice, I buy it in frozen bags that cook in just 3 minutes. They have white rice in the freezer section too.
If you’d like to make this a vegetarian recipe, simply leave out the meat. You could add in more beans or veggies if preferred. It’s also delicious with a small can of diced green chilies or even sliced jalapeños. Consider serving it over lettuce in a salad bowl or eating it with tortilla chips. You can even use it as a mix to top nachos or place it in a tortilla to make burritos. We love using leftovers to make stuffed bell peppers or add to a taco salad.
Simply store the leftovers (if you are lucky enough to have any) in an airtight container! The leftovers are, dare I say, even BETTER! If the leftovers seem dry after being in the refrigerator, a dash of olive oil will moisten up the carbohydrates of the rice:) Reheat in a pot on medium-high heat or in the microwave until the chicken is tender.
Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Non-stick spray
- 8×8 baking dish
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- Measuring cups
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 15 oz (can) black beans, drained
- 1 15 oz (can) corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In the mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients except only use 1 cup of cheese. Save the other cup for adding to the top.
- Prepare your baking dish with non-stick spray
- Add the mixture to the baking dish
- Put the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top
- Cover with foil and cook for 25 minutes
- Remove the foil and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted