Now that the kids are back in school, it’s time to start thinking about staying healthy! It’s inevitable that germs and colds will spread around the classroom and make their way into our homes. I appreciate the inexpensive ingredients for these Homemade Hand Sanitizing Wipes, so that we can be make them over and over again throughout the year (take that germs!). Be sure to check out our directions for How to Make a Face Mask too!
Homemade Hand Sanitizing Wipes
The most important ingredient to making hand sanitizer is rubbing alcohol. To prevent your hands from getting too dry or irritated from the rubbing alcohol, you can add a moisturizing ingredient to make using the DIY hand sanitizing wipes a better experience, especially when you use them several times a day! As long as the solution you mix contains 60% rubbing alcohol, then you’ll have effectively sanitized them!
How to Make Homemade Hand Sanitizing Wipes
Rubbing alcohol is a highly effective disinfectant. It dries quickly, which makes it a great choice for a DIY hand sanitizer. But, because rubbing alcohol is drying on the skin, adding the aloe will keep your hands soft and moisturized at the same time. Plus, the soothing smell of aloe makes the DIY wipes smell good! We really love the idea of using small cloth towels and washing them for repeated use. So smart!
This is very affordable and can be made in just a few minutes. I like this recipe because it nourishes your hands while killing germs, but not too greasy! You can find the dry wipes on Amazon HERE. That particular kind can be used as dry wipes or damp wipes, which makes them great for this project. If you are low on time, you can make mine with baby wipes.
You could also use a roll of paper towels cut in half (using and a sharp knife). Thick and strong paper towels work the best when the are used damp with hand sanitizer. Once the paper towels are in half, use 1/4 to 1/3 of the paper towels and place them in the container before adding the alcohol solution. Save the other cut paper towels for the next time you make the hand sanitizer solution!
Click here to download our Homemade Hand Sanitizing Wipes printable:
TIP: Use clear packaging tape to attach and “water-proof” the label on your container.
Other Homemade Cleaning Supplies You Might Like:
How to Make a Face Mask
DIY Laundry Scent Booster
Lavender Laundry Sponges
Homemade Shower Cleaner
Homemade Dog Shampoo
DIY Fabric Softener
DIY Laundry Soap
Tub and Tile Cleaner
Homemade Hand Sanitizing WipesPrint Here
You Will Need
- Dry wipes (like THESE), body wipes, baby wipes, or even small reusable towels that can be washed.
- Plastic or glass container with a lid such as a Tupperware container or zip-top bag
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of gel aloe
- 1.5 cup of 99% rubbing alcohol (the higher the concentration of rubbing alcohol, the more effective the sanitizing)
- A mixing cup or bowl, and a mixing spoon
*NOTE: You can make this solution to fit any size container, as long as the end solution (with all combined ingredients) is at least 60% alcohol. If you drop below 60%, the effectiveness drops very dramatically.
*TIP: You can use a 91% or 70% rubbing alcohol. Just be sure to add enough so that the end solution contains at least 60% rubbing alcohol.
- Place your wipes of choice in the container.
- Combine the hot water, aloe, and rubbing alcohol with a spoon until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture over the towels in the container until the towels are fully saturated. If you’re using dry wipes, you might need to double up on the recipe. So easy!
- If the hand sanitizing towels dry out (as they do over time), re-wet them with the same solution. Talk about saving money!