This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Whether a fun after-school snack or after-dinner dessert, our Cheerio Bars are an amazing anytime treat! The colorful sprinkles on top make them festive and adorable. These Cheerio Treats don’t require any baking. This is an easy recipe that you need to keep on hand – everyone will thank you for it!
If you enjoy quick and easy treats, like our Chocolate Chip Cookies or Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars, you will love our Cheerio Bars! They are a unique twist on regular Rice Krispies Treats. The biggest difference, though, is that this recipe doesn’t use marshmallows!
The bars are held together with a super delicious buttery sugary sauce that gently hardens as it cools. Poured over traditional Cheerios, I love that it doesn’t overpower the taste of the cereal. Everyone loves Cheerios, and these bars enhance the flavor while adding a bit of sweetness.
To make Cheerio Bars, you need the following ingredients: Cheerios, butter, sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla extract. As you might see, I have a homemade version of vanilla extract. During the year of 2020, one of our wonderful neighbors made me some homemade vanilla extract and, I have to tell you it’s incredible!
Begin by mixing the sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until it boils. It heats quickly, so it’s important to stir it slowly while you’re bringing it to a boil. It will have a thick consistency at first, and eventually become more of a liquid as the heat rises.
Once the sugar mixture is bubbling, remove it from the heat and place a stick of butter in the middle. Slowly stir until the butter melts evenly throughout. Melted butter and sugar is simply divine!
At this point, you will need a large mixing bowl. Pour the butter-sugar mixture over the Cheerios in the mixing bowl. Slowly mix everything together until fully combined. Ok fine, you can taste a Cheerio at this point if you want!
Finally, place the coated Cheerios into a baking dish prepared with non-stick spray. An 8’x8″ or 9″x9″ dish works great! The non-stick spray will help the Cheerio Bars lift out easily when you’re ready to enjoy them.
Let the Cheerio Bars cool for about 30 minutes or so. You can wait longer or actually enjoy them sooner if you prefer. The longer they stay in the baking dish, the better they will hold their square bar shape. However, they are REALLY good to eat even if you can’t wait a full 30 minutes and need to indulge sooner. Enjoy!
More Easy Dessert Recipes by Smart School House to Try Next:
6 Minute Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lazy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars
S’Mores Cookie Bars
Peanut Butter Cup Brookies
You Will Need
- 5 Cups of Whole Grain Cheerios
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 Stick of Butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- Sprinkles (optional) – Can be substituted with chocolate chips, M&M’s, etc.
Other Supplies Needed:
- Square Baking Dish
- Non-Stick Spray
- Large Mixing Bowl
- In a pan, combine the light corn syrup and sugar over medium heat until boiling
- Once boiling, stir for 1-2 minutes until fully combined
- The sugar won’t be fully dissolved, and that’s ok.
- Remove from heat
- Add the stick of butter and vanilla extract
- Mix until the butter is fully combined
- Place Cheerios in a large mixing bowl
- Pour the sugar mixture over the Cheerios in the bowl
- Gently mix and fold the Cheerios into the sugar mixture until fully coated
- Prepare the square baking dish with non-stick spray
- Place the coated Cheerios into the square baking dish
- Press the Cheerios down in the dish
- Add sprinkles on top
- After about 30 minutes or so, cut the Cheerios into bars
- **HINT** Spray a butter knife with non-stick spray to make this part super easy!
Store leftovers in an air-tight container