Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
It’s always a great idea to add this creamy chicken enchilada skillet recipe into the mix of weeknight dinners because it is a delicious and filling meal for the entire family. This one pan dinner recipe is easy to whip up in a hurry and it’s an irresistible home cooked meal that is perfect for busy days. We love making crock pot recipes or casserole dishes on cold days. However, we’re up for a tasty Mexican inspired dinner any day of the year! What I love most about this dinner (other than how great it tastes) is that it’s all cooked in one dish. Less clean up, more relax time!
Mexican food is our favorite and we can’t ever get enough! We love tacos, burritos, taquitos, and especially enchiladas. This recipe tastes like traditional enchiladas without all the work and that makes it a great go-to recipe for our family. They are extra creamy because of the sour cream green enchilada blend which is mouthwatering! Unlike traditional enchiladas, this enchilada skillet recipe includes beans and corn. It’s a full meal all in one pan! How’s that for easy?
The top of the bubbly cheesy enchiladas is a warm drizzle of more green enchilada sauce and Cotija queso (cheese). I like to garnish it a little with fresh cilantro in addition to pico de gallo and sliced avocado. Not only does it make the skillet dinner look amazing but also gives it wonderful texture for the perfect final touch.
Supplies Needed to Make this Dinner
- Nonstick pan or skillet with a lid. I prefer nonstick but cast iron and stainless steel will also work well.
- Small mixing bowl
- Can opener
- Non-stick mixing spoon
- Plate for shredding chicken
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet Ingredients
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 10.5 oz can of chicken broth
- 4 oz can of diced green chilies – drained
- 12 oz can of green enchilada sauce
- 4oz can of diced jalapeños – drained
- 11 oz can of corn with red and green bell peppers (Mexican style corn)
- 2.25 oz can of sliced olives – drained
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of shredded queso blend cheese (Mexican-style cheeses: Manchego, Oaxaca, Quesadilla and Asadero)
- 1 small bag of grated Cojita cheese
- Pico de gallo
In preparing to make this enchilada meal, you’ll need to cut the 12 corn tortillas into bite sized pieces. It’s easily done by stacking them and slicing them into squares.
Recipe for Creamy Skillet Chicken Enchiladas
- Cut the tortillas into bite sized pieces
- In a bowl, mix together 1 cup of sour cream with 1 cup of green enchilada sauce
- Melt the butter and the flour in a pan over medium heat until it thickens (it burns quickly so constantly stir it)
- Add the chicken broth and stir
- Add the green chilies, jalapeños, olives and chicken breast to the sauce. Bring to a simmer
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove the chicken and set it on a plate to be shredded
- Add the sour cream and green enchilada mixture, tortillas, corn, and beans to the pan
- Shred the chicken and stir it in to the rest of the ingredients in the pan until everything is evenly combined
- Add at least 1 cup of shredded Queso Blend Cheese to the top
- Cover and cook on low for 5-10 minutes
- Remove from heat and drizzle more green enchilada sauce on top
- Sprinkle cotija cheese over the entire skillet
- Add cilantro to the center
- Top with pico de gallo and avocado slices
Looking for more easy dinner ideas?
- 6 One-Dish Dinners
- 15 Minute Dinner Ideas
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Turkey Teriyaki Meatballs
- BBQ Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Taco Lasagna
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
Hand your family a serving spoon and let them take charge! There’s no wrong way to eat a skillet recipe. In a bowl or on a plate, just serve it warm and listen as the dinner table gets really quiet as everything starts scarfing! The spices of the green chilies and jalapenos combined with the creamy cheeses will have your family going back to this recipe time and time again.