It’s appetizer season! In my opinion, the best appetizers are fun to eat, easy to make, and look great. Not only is our Blooming Burrito Ring a great appetizer, it’s also a fun meal for a family. It is super amusing and insanely easy to make! Everyone will be impressed by the blooming ring display of comforting cheesy chicken bean burritos. A fun way alternative on Taco Tuesday. Always a huge hit!
Blooming Burrito Ring
Anyone who knows my daughter, knows she’s a TOTAL sucker for bean and cheese burritos. I think it might have even been one of the very first foods she fed herself as a toddler. She’s so funny! Well, whenever I whip up this burrito ring, she’s the first one ready to dive in. Oh, and did I mention she’s a picky eater? It’s impossible to not love this fun recipe.
It is FILLED with ooey gooey melted cheese in between layers of flavorful chicken and cheese burritos. As many of you might have already seen on TikTok or Facebook, my video for this recipe has gone viral because, as most people have said, “This looks delicious!” Here’s the video tutorial for my burrito ring recipe:
@smartschoolhouseBlooming Burrito Ring!!! 10 Tortillas, Rolled Up w/ Seasoned Chicken, Beans + Cheese, Topped w/ Quesadilla Cheese, Baked at 350 for 20 Mins ##yum♬ The Big Day – Alex Arias & Alexander Julius Wright
JUST LOOK AT THAT CHEESE! There’s a little trick to getting that stretchy cheese effect in between the layers of burritos. It’s all in the type of cheese you use! First things first, you will need shredded chicken. I season the shredded chicken with a packet of powdered taco seasoning. This, of course, is optional. However, even my picky eater doesn’t mind this. While the chicken is cooking, warm up a can (or 2) of refried beans.
While the beans and chicken are cooking, cut a pack of 10 soft taco sized tortillas in half. I usually cut about 3 at a time. I recommend using a cutting board for this process as well as for assembling the burrito rolls. A cutting board makes it easy to transfer the blooming burritos into the baking dish (and makes clean up easier too!).
Blooming Burrito Ring
As seen in my TikTok video above, add a scoop of beans, a scoop of chicken, and some shredded cheese onto each tortilla half. For this, I use a Mexican blend of cheese. However, any shredded cheese you like in your burritos will work for this part. Grab a good old pie dish, prepare it with non-stick spray, place a small dipping bowl in the middle, and arrange 12 burrito roll ups around the dish. THEN, top it with the special cheese… oh yeah… the shredded queso quesadilla cheese!
Using the 8 remaining tortilla halves, make more burrito bundles. Roll ’em up and preheat the oven! If you have kids around, they are really good at rolling up the burritos for this cheesy ring. They don’t have to be perfect! Trust me, they all taste the same (and look the same) in the end. THAT’S what makes an irresistible appetizer!
Transfer the round pie dish to a large baking sheet. Remove the center dipping bowl, and place the burrito ring in the oven. The baking dish will help transfer the ring in and out of the oven and will catch any bits of beans, cheese, or chicken that might drip during baking.
What’s so magical about the queso quesadilla cheese is that it melts to ooey gooey perfection, yet, it will preserve the perfect place for that same dipping bowl. While the cheesy burrito ring is baking, whip up some guacamole. Not a fan of guac? Consider salsa or pico de gallo instead! You know what else is so good? Sour cream mixed with taco sauce and hot sauce (shhhh! That’s a secret sauce that is addicting!).
Once the burrito ring is done baking, serve the beautiful burritos right away and watch as everyone appreciates the layers of deliciousness.
More Recipes by Smart School House to Try Next:
You Will Need
- 10 Soft Taco Size Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Chicken (at least 4 cups)
- 1 Packet of Taco Seasoning – optional
- 1-2 Cans of Refried Beans – better to make extra and serve on the side rather than running out while making the burrito bundles!
- Shredded cheese – Mexican blend or whatever you prefer in your burritos
- 8 oz Bag of Shredded Queso Quesadilla Cheese
Other Supplies Needed:
- Small round bowl for prep and dippping
- Consider guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, or our “special sauce” seen above!
- Cutting Board – for prep
- Non-Stick Spray
- 8″-9″ Pie Dish
- Knife – for cutting tortillas in half
- Pan for Cooking Shredded Chicken
- Pot for Heating up Refried Beans
- Large Baking Sheet
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare shredded chicken as desired and add in a packet of taco seasoning (usually requiring a little extra water)
- Heat up refried beans
- Cut tortillas in half
- On a cutting board, put a scoop of beans, chicken, and shredded Mexican blend cheese in the middle of each tortilla half
- Roll the tortilla into a cone shape as seen in the TikTok video above
- Prepare the pie dish with nonstick spray
- Place a small bowl in the middle of the dish
- Arrange 12 burrito bundles around the bowl
- Sprinkle 1/2 the bag of quesadilla cheese over the burrito bundles
- Arrange the remaining 8 burrito bundles on top
- Sprinkle the remaining queso cheese on top
- Transfer the pie pan filled with burrito bundles to a large baking sheet
- Remove the small bowl in the middle
- Bake the Blooming Burrito Ring for 20 minutes
- While baking, prepare guacamole, salsa, or the “secret sauce” in the small dipping bowl
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Consider adding the extra chicken or beans on the side!
- Store leftover burrito bundles in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave… they’re wonderful!