This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a fun and easy appetizer idea that EVERYONE will love? Buffalo Chicken Wontons are the answer! Creamy buffalo chicken wrapped up in wonton wrappers then drizzled in dressing! A mouthwatering appetizer done in 12 minutes. They are baked, not fried making them appealing to everyone. Therefore, they disappear quickly!
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Today we are sharing our Buffalo Chicken Wontons recipe with you so that you can try these out for New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl (or for the last few playoff games left!). If you enjoy hot wings or any kind of buffalo chicken, you will LOVE these cheesy chicken roll ups. They’re hot, spicy, and full of mouthwatering flavors. It mixes together cream cheese with chicken and, you guessed it, buffalo wing sauce is added right in! We aren’t shy with the spice in this recipe. YUM!
For this recipe, you will need some wonton wrappers, which can be found refrigerated at any grocery store. They are thin, soft, pastry sheets that are cut into perfect squares. Next, you will also need shredded chicken breast, cut into small pieces. Before stuffing the wrappers, the chicken is mixed with buffalo wing sauce, cream cheese, and shredded cheese.
This buffalo style appetizer can be served as a finger food or you can even use the chicken mixture as a chip dip. Whatever you choose, don’t forget the blue cheese and/or ranch dipping sauce. I even like to have some warm buffalo wing sauce on the side too for an extra kick. Mixing the buffalo sauce with the blue cheese is my favoirte.
The wontons bake for a very short amount of time because the delicate papers can burn easily. Therefore, you will warm the ingredients together in a pan beforehand, making sure the cheeses are all melted. To make this easier, let the cream cheese sit out for an hour or so to make it softer.
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Since our Buffalo Chicken Wontons are baked not fried, we use melted butter to seal up the sides. First, brush a little bit of melted butter along each 4 sides of the wonton wrappers. Then, add a small spoonful of warm chicken mixture to the center of each wonton paper. Finally, once the edges are all pulled up and pinched together, brush the buffalo chicken wontons with additional melted butter.
If you like baked wontons, be sure to check out our recipe for Baked Cream Cheese Wontons. For a sweeter, dessert inspired baked wonton treat, try our Strawberry Cream Cheese Wontons. With this recipe, instead of being drizzled with creamy dressing, these dessert style wontons are drizzled in white chocolate. My mouth is watering just thinking about them!
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wontons are slightly crunchier than the fried version, but they are 100% just as wonderful as the fried version. Hey, whatever it takes to make a cheese appetizer healthier – I’ll take it!
More Appetizer Recipes by Smart School House:
Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups
Baked Cream Cheese Wontons
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing and Dipping Sauce
Turkey Teriyaki Meatballs
Queso Blanco Dip
Wrapped Brie Cheese Dip
In an attempt to make something a little bit easier and a little bit healthier, we made these baked cream cheese wontons appetizer. As a result, they will disappear quickly! Today that lasted all of 10 minutes (they are THAT good!).
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of butter (melted)
- Wonton wraps (found at any grocery store)
- 8 oz package of Cream cheese at room temp.
- 2 cups of shredded chicken, cut into very fine pieces
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
Other Supplies Also Needed:
- Non-stick spray or parchment paper
- Pan for warming chicken mixture
- Basting brush
- Baking sheet
- Fork/spoon (for mixing and scooping)
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- In the pan, combine the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, 1/4 cup of green onion, and buffalo wing sauce
- Place the chicken and cheese mixture into a pan on low heat. Stir regularly until the chicken, cheese, and buffalo sauce is warm, not hot.
- On a prepared baking sheet, with either parchment paper or non-stick spray, lay out the wonton sheets
- Melt the butter until it is in full liquid form
- Using a basting brush, paint a line of melted butter along the edge of each wonton square
- Scoop the warm buffalo cheese chicken onto the wonton papers as pictured
- Pinch all 4 corners of the wontons sheets up and around the chicken mixture. Seal any holes with by pinching the paper together.
- Brush on melted butter on top of each uncooked buffalo chicken wonton.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with blue cheese dip, or drizzled with ranch dressing. Sprinkle additional green onion on top
- Optional: and extra buffalo wing sauce and other dressings on the side.
I teach Family Consumer Science ,I will be trying this with my students .I have tried eggrolls inthe past.